Herfers Paradise: Forums

Herfers Paradise :: View topic - For the birds
The Best Damn Cigar Site On Earth!

Herfers Paradise Forum Index -> Herf House -> For the birds
For the birds
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
DrBobber
HP Member

Yeah, I probably could google and read a bunch of info to find my information, but I bet some birder knows my answers.

We have a couple bird houses outside our kitchen window that I notice do get activity. However not as much the last couple seasons. I was wondering about emptying out old nests each year.
1. Should we empty out the old nests?
2. When is the best time/season to do it?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
olrednek
HP Member

Nail some wood over the holes. Otherwise, the fuggin birds will get in em.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
DrBobber
HP Member

olrednek wrote:
Nail some wood over the holes. Otherwise, the fuggin birds will get in em.

You miss the reason I have the bird houses.
It is great to entertain our cats to sit at the window and watch the birds.
It is great entertainment for us humans in the house to watch the cats go berzerk over the birds they are watching. Twisted Evil
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Habanero
HP Member

Clean the old nests out. Do it when they hang the "Maid service requested" sign on the doorknob. Or, you can clean it out any time they're done hatching out young 'uns. Take a peek in there from time to time. Empty eggs shells and no more birds hanging out means they're done.

Our den has windows that come down about 18" from the floor. I attached a tray feeder outside on the brick ledge and fill it with sunflower seeds. I really enjoy watching the cat repeatedly bang her head on the windows. Laughing

It's like this

only I took the hangers off and screwed one side into the brick mortar.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
DrBobber
HP Member

I enjoy it when the cats start trying to climb the window like there is an exit up there somewhere.
And what is real fun is to open the window (screen in place) and now they can hear the birds and smell the birds.

I am a cat lover, but also a cat tormentor. Twisted Evil
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
bigmike787
HP Member

I am a cat killer and also a bird killer. I would shoot both of them equally. Laughing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Mamma_mingo
HP Member

bigmike787 wrote:
I am a cat killer and also a bird killer. I would shoot both of them equally. Laughing

no....you are a murderer! Razz

i'm with bobber though....I can torment on occasion and not feel guilty! Cool

I have some bird houses that I do clean out and some I don't....they all seem to be used each year.
many I think are repeat visitors......I usually dump them early spring, just before I hang them up.
some need fresh paint of repair work.....I like to have them all ready for baby bird season. wink
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Habanero
HP Member

Mmmmm.. baby bird!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
DrBobber
HP Member

If you have ever used a laser pointer with a cat, you are a cat tormentor. You excite them to no end, but they can never catch that little red dot because it really does not exist.

Okay, I will clean them out in the next couple weeks.
My wife painted them a few weeks back and asked about emptying them, which is the reason for this thread. She also decided to install a 1-1/2 inch peg as a perch outside the holes into the houses. I told her birds do not normally need that. She thinks the holes need to be bigger and I told if she did that the squirrels would be able to get the eggs/chicks inside.

What kind of house do you need for scarlets? We usually see of lot of them in the backyard (the houses are on the side yard) and it is usually a female being chased by multiple males during mating season. Those male scarlets are really some horn-dogs. Laughing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
bigmike787
HP Member

Would be awesome to put mouse traps in the bird houses. When the birds go in to check it out, POP! Hmmmm might be time for a new hobby. Twisted Evil
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Mamma_mingo
HP Member

Quote:
If you have ever used a laser pointer with a cat, you are a cat tormentor. You excite them to no end, but they can never catch that little red dot because it really does not exist.

I call that 'exercising' the cats..... Twisted Evil
my favorite thing to do, is getting them to jump straight up in the air.
not an easy thing to do.....but, funny!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
CottyGee
HP Member

The Mythbusters proved this past weekend that it is in fact true that one cannot herd cats.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Sam_da_Man
HP Member

Mamma_mingo wrote:
Quote:

Try this. Put a 1" strip of scotch tape on a front paw, and a 1" strip of scotch tape on the opposite rear paw - i.e. front left and right rear paws, then watch them walk. LMFAO!!! Cats are entertaining...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Mamma_mingo
HP Member

Sam_da_Man wrote:
Mamma_mingo wrote:
Quote:

Try this. Put a 1" strip of scotch tape on a front paw, and a 1" strip of scotch tape on the opposite rear paw - i.e. front left and right rear paws, then watch them walk. LMFAO!!! Cats are entertaining...

roll roll
I can picture that in my head....I could pull it off on one of the cats.
the other one would have me hemorrhaging before I even got started.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
CottyGee
HP Member

A cat'll break his frickin' neck tryin' to get out of a collar.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
DrBobber
HP Member

Mamma_mingo wrote:
Quote:

I can get Elvis, our "healthy" (polite for fat) cat, to actually jump up high enough and flip light switches. Once he did and it turned off the only lights and he freaked.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
DrBobber
HP Member

Sam_da_Man wrote:
Mamma_mingo wrote:
Quote:

That reminds me of when we were trying to train the cats to stay off the counters. We put down the aluminum foil which worked for maybe a day. Yeah, it initially scared them and they freaked, but in no time at all it did not work. So then we tried the double sided tape. Now as long as the tape stayed clean, that worked. But we finally gave up because you can't cook on a counter covered with double-sided tape.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
olrednek
HP Member

DrBobber wrote:
Sam_da_Man wrote:
Mamma_mingo wrote:
Quote:

That reminds me of when we were trying to train the cats to stay off the counters. We put down the aluminum foil which worked for maybe a day. Yeah, it initially scared them and they freaked, but in no time at all it did not work. So then we tried the double sided tape. Now as long as the tape stayed clean, that worked. But we finally gave up because you can't cook on a counter covered with double-sided tape.

Two words:
Lectric
Fencer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Mamma_mingo
HP Member

DrBobber wrote:
Sam_da_Man wrote:
Mamma_mingo wrote:
Quote:

I didn't have any trouble training mine to stay off the tables and counters.....

only had to squirt once or twice....if they got anywhere near the counters...I just had to put the bottle within their eyesight. they learned...... Twisted Evil
that said....I've gotten up in the morning to a few little kitty prints on the stove and sink. Confused
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Habanero
HP Member

DrBobber wrote:
Sam_da_Man wrote:
Mamma_mingo wrote:
Quote:

Bobber, we picked up a varmint cat from the local shelter because the spousal unit just haaaaaaaaaaaaad to have one.

I felt kinda bad because I backed the car over her really old cat. So, that was a sucky day. Anyway...

new cat is a hard core counter surfer. It's a well known fact you cant train a cat to do what you want. She knows not to get on the counter when we're in the room but the very second we walk out she's on the counter.

I bought a shock collar that actives when she comes in close proximity to a transmitter that can be placed anywhere. Used one on a dog to keep his butt off the couch. It worked for the dog and it's working for the cat. If she gets within 3 feet of the counter it starts to beep. If she keeps going it delivers a shock. It works but I don't know how long it will take to be a permanent fix. I took the collar off after 2 weeks and she ran straight to the counter. Laughing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Mamma_mingo
HP Member

DrBobber wrote:
Mamma_mingo wrote:
Quote:

I can get Elvis, our "healthy" (polite for fat) cat, to actually jump up high enough and flip light switches. Once he did and it turned off the only lights and he freaked.

my male cat, watches me open the door and tries desperately to emulate the move. has almost perfected it....time to start locking the doors. Laughing
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Habanero
HP Member

Mamma_mingo wrote:
DrBobber wrote:
Mamma_mingo wrote:
Quote:

my male cat, watches me open the door and tries desperately to emulate the move. has almost perfected it....time to start locking the doors. Laughing

if he starts watching you when you're cutting up meat, then it's time to be worried.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
DrBobber
HP Member

Habanero wrote:
Bobber, we picked up a varmint cat from the local shelter because the spousal unit just haaaaaaaaaaaaad to have one.

I felt kinda bad because I backed the car over her really old cat. So, that was a sucky day. Anyway...

new cat is a hard core counter surfer. It's a well known fact you cant train a cat to do what you want. She knows not to get on the counter when we're in the room but the very second we walk out she's on the counter.

I bought a shock collar that actives when she comes in close proximity to a transmitter that can be placed anywhere. Used one on a dog to keep his butt off the couch. It worked for the dog and it's working for the cat. If she gets within 3 feet of the counter it starts to beep. If she keeps going it delivers a shock. It works but I don't know how long it will take to be a permanent fix. I took the collar off after 2 weeks and she ran straight to the counter. Laughing

Habanero, I have given up trying to stop the cats too. I have simply learned to don't leave a cup with any liquid in it abandoned for more than 5 seconds, or Elvis will be knocking it over. If you need to go to the bathroom when reading the Sunday paper with your coffee, you just take your cup with you. And the cats are not allowed in my office. I get to give them a neener-neener thru the french doors when they are looking in from the hallway. Laughing
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:49 am Reply with quote
DrBobber
HP Member

Mamma_mingo wrote:
DrBobber wrote:
Mamma_mingo wrote:
Quote:

Luckily we do not have door handles with levers. Ours are all round.

What is funny, I can go to the bathroom and the door has about a 1" gap between the bottom and the tile floor in the bathroom. Every so often one of the cats will start sticking his paws under the door. They are obviously laying on their side outside because I can see both front paws and a rear paw being stuck under the door. We must close the bathroom doors or they will get in there and gnaw on the toilet paper or completely unroll it onto the floor. There was a month that we went thru the huge 24 roll pack of triple rolls in only a few weeks, but it was due to the cats wasting over half of them. mad2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
Mamma_mingo
HP Member

DrBobber wrote:
Mamma_mingo wrote:
DrBobber wrote:
Mamma_mingo wrote:
Quote:

Luckily we do not have door handles with levers. Ours are all round.

What is funny, I can go to the bathroom and the door has about a 1" gap between the bottom and the tile floor in the bathroom. Every so often one of the cats will start sticking his paws under the door. They are obviously laying on their side outside because I can see both front paws and a rear paw being stuck under the door. We must close the bathroom doors or they will get in there and gnaw on the toilet paper or completely unroll it onto the floor. There was a month that we went thru the huge 24 roll pack of triple rolls in only a few weeks, but it was due to the cats wasting over half of them. mad2

my cats walk in and out of the bathroom but....never bother anything.
they will however, step into the warm shower after someone has just gotten out.
then there will be little kitty paw prints all over the floors...... Confused

Mike has a habit of closing the dining room closet, without checking to see if there is a cat inside.
i'll walk by the closet sometime later...and see these paws come from under the door. Laughing
Boo will actually meow and rearrange the closet trying to get out....
Re: For the birds
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
Fidel
HP Member

DrBobber wrote:
1. Should we empty out the old nests?
2. When is the best time/season to do it?

1. Yes......only raptors reuse a nest, adding to it each season.

2. Now.......they will be nest building soon. Clean it out and spray the box with a light bleach and water solution.
For the birds
  Herfers Paradise Forum Index -> Herf House